Thursday, January 10, 2019

Assalamualaikum and Hi Everyone!

How are you guys doing? Hopefully it's a good start within these few weeks of 2019 for everyone. As for me, my health condition is not too good, I got pretty bad cough and flu and it has been a month as of now. For apparent reason, I went to few private clinics and government clinics just to confirm my health. I was quite afraid on the symptoms, but Alhamdulillah, nothing serious came out from my xray result. Just waiting for another result which is from the lab. But I guess it is something related with sinus? and also the throat parts. Please pray that I'm getting better...

Anyway, I got a request from my sister to set her room up for her big day. One of the most crucial part is to paint the wall altogether again. It has been five years since the wall last painted and it wasn't really the colour she wanted to have this March. So I need to prepare for some tools and right steps to make her dream bedroom for her big day comes true! I will update again once the project is finished, and pray that I can come out with lots of detailed pictures/videos. Up to this date, I managed to retain one of the seasoned room in our house, and here I would like to share a bit about the process.




Why don't just hire someone to paint? Well, it is simply because, hiring someone would cost me more, and sometimes the result is not as what we expected plus at that time there were many personal things inside the room. lol. You can say there's pretty much pros and cons for any options, right?

For diy bedroom walls painting, you need to consider a few things:

1. How long is the process

Let say you got four walls to cover, so you need to divide each walls into a determined time frame so that you have the momentum to finish all four walls. As for me, I managed to finish all four walls in two weeks time, with the help from my brother and sister. Here, the cost to hire someone to paint a room would be around RM800 not including the tools and paint which I believe the average rate, so I rather spend that much to my siblings. I don't know how much would it cost in other places.



2. Where to put your stuffs at the moment
It's very important for you to keep your things at its place and still function as a human because this diy project would not be able to finish in just one day. So, luckily I got another spare room to use so I can put all my belongings over there for a while.

3. Physically healthy and strong 
Yes I know you are so excited to transform your room or space but please note that painting the wall requires a lot of energy and you better follow any tips given by anyone experienced okay? Invest some money for your safety as well as to make the wall painting experience is a lot more fun than just trying to be rigid with your money because the expenses for some of the tips such as using a reliable brushes is still within the budget.

Let's get started.......

First of all, basically you need:

1. Undercoat paint (white colour base) with the interior label. You can find this pretty much anywhere, here I bought it last time at one of this paint shops. For the foundation or sealer of the four walls for my room, I used one unit of 5litre undercoat paint and it's not more than RM100. It is very important to paint the wall using white undercoat because my room had this striking not so soft blue colour before. And with time, the colour turned a bit dark so it could be a useless thing to do if we want to paint the new colour directly under this colour since the outcome can be just mix of blue colour and the new colour chosen.


2. Colour paint chosen


This is the code that I have chosen for the featured wall since I love pastel hues. It is 'Doves' Wings' by Nippon, a kind of blueish soft grey.


3. Painting Brush


This one is the traditional way of painting some of the remote part of the wall, if you are looking for some innovative way of applying the paint, you might as well want to try this one:
 I never had the chance to try this one, but it looks very handy and brilliantly shaped to finish any harder parts of the wall.


4. Paint roller

I used a cheaper one (no brand) like this at first, but turned out the process was so tiring, the application was not smooth. So please please please use a better paint roller brush, example nippon filler (Rm10) is recommended to avoid your hand from becoming numb after a few strokes using a cheaper brush. You will just end up wasting your energy because the paint application needs to be redone again and and again since it doesn't give you the maximum application on the wall you need.

5. Paint tray

This one you can also get it pretty much everywhere, and the size or units is according to your need. For me, I bought this more than one unit because I used the tray for undercoat, as well as the colour I I've chosen. 

6. Glove



There are many types of gloves out there, but to paint the bedroom I stick to linen gloves and not using the plastic-disposable because linen type is more reliable and is from non-slip material; you need to hold many tools in the process that you don't want to risk your hand getting pricked over the painting process which of course would hinder the actual plans.

7. Long stick to reach higher area of the wall


This stick is needed to paint the higher area of the wall you want, and you just need to attach the paint roller to the end of the stick. It can be in any material; wooden or plastic or metal, but just make sure it would not easily break in the middle of the process because you need to do a lot of strokes using this one. I used a wooden stick in this process so linen gloves was a definite use since I didn't want my fingers to be full with splinters. lol


8. Masking tape


This one is very important if you have a featured wall for your bedroom. But if you do not have any, this one is also very helpful to cover the area you would not want the paint to get onto the wall surface.


9.  Canvas tarp or Plastic drop cloth




This item is really useful to cover the floor area when you paint the wall so you would not be surprised with the amount of cleaning work you need to do after the painting process. Just make sure you get all the surface covered, and do check the size of the floor or any furnitures you want to cover so that you do not waste them, or even going back and forth to the shop in case the canvas tarp and plastic drop cloth is not enough.



I guess these are all the most needed items whenever you want to start painting your bedroom wall. Of course you need to clean and clear your bedroom space before you starting your project, and also after you have finished painting all the walls. That is only when you can have a clearer view of your bedroom on the before and after result. So yeah! By all means, a lot of works and enthusiasm! No paint, no gain.
Good Luck!











:: rabiatul adawiyah's :: . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates